2011-03-27

Blue Monarch Butterfly nails

To celebrate the start of Summer (daylight saving time) I wanted a piece of summer on my nails too. I headed out to YouTube to find an inspiration on buttefly designs. There I found this tutorial by cardiographing:



As you can see, I changed the design a bit and changed up the colors to fit the still cool (cold!) weather we have here.



I wanted to have a subtle color shifting as well as some shimmer on it. So I sponged 3 differend polishes on the nail to get it more vibrant. I do love the effect if I might say so myself :)

For the base color I sponged medium blue from Nail Star nail art pen. Then I sponged on some Boho from Hot Looks - which I recently used on its own here. Finally I added just lightly Depend #221 for extra shimmer and some minty tone - see how it looks plain here.

For the details I used both Nail Star and Enamel Art 1000 2-way nail art pens. The black parts are asymmetrical on purpose.

Everything I used is cheap stuff - dirt cheap actually. In Finland you can't get a bottle of China Glaze for the price of all this lot. And the end result is somewhat as striking as in using more expensive holographic nail polish. Oh how I love the magic of layering polish :)


Thanks for stopping by!

21 comments:

  1. very cool! I've been looking for a tut on this, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aivan ihanat! Tää sininen on kauniinpi kun toi alkuperänen oranssi, vaikka normaalisti tykkään oranssista enemmän kun sinisestä.. :) Kimalteleeki vielä niin nätisti!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like that! Beautiful design and colours x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Todella upeat! Olen myös sitä mieltä että sininen on kauniimpi kuin oranssi (ei sekään toki ole huono). Itse tein tänään ekaa kirsikkakukat kynsiini, siinäkin taustana sininen (blogistani löytyy kuva). Sininen jotenkin sopii kevääseen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tosi hienot ja hyvin toteutetut! Toi sininen sävy on kaunis, kivasti elävän näköinen pinta :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this! This type of butterfly pattern is one of my favorite looks. In fact, I even did a post using blue and butterfly myself! Check it out :)
    http://polishartaddiction.blogspot.com/2011/02/blue-monarch.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you everyone!

    ~Leslie~ Wow we are polish-twins almost, your design is so similar :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved this design ever since I first saw it. You did a great job!! I never did it because my freehand skills are so-so, but urs looks a.m.a.z.i.n.g. & I like the color combo<33

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it!!! Probably I will never be able to do that, but it's really amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Todella kauniit :0 Tekisi mieli kokeilla tehdä tuollaiset! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you - kiitos!

    @ Prettyfulz & maisenzasmalto: You should try it, you can paint the lines anyway they choose to come out and it still looks natural. Just needs a brush that is thin enough :)

    @ Karoliina: Kokeile ihmeessä, se tuntuu mielessä vaikeammalta kuin sitten onkaan. Itse tein nuo viivat alkamaan suurinpiirtein alhaalta keskeltä mutta haaroittumaan sitten siitä mihin suuntiin sivellin parhaiten taipui. Ei tarvitse siis olla niin symmetrinen kuin tuossa tutorial-videossa ja tippikin on vain luonnollisempi kun se ei ole liian suora :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your try on the butterfly nails is amazing! Love the colour!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for visiting my blog:) I love this butterfly nails so much! So beautiful:D I have to try the design too:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Erittäin kivan näköiset kynnet! :) Värit ovat ihanat ja hyvin yhteensopivat. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really like it :) looks pretty, I've been wanting to try this kind of design maybe it's time :) great job!!

    MyGuiltyLittlePleasures.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. They are super cute. U did a really good job. I think Im gonna try this one day...


    http://veonbeautifuljourney.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you, great to have so many new faces here :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your version!! came out really nice
    saving this for inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete

Great to hear from you! Thanks for taking time to comment :)